Sunday, December 28, 2008

Grand Ridge Brewery - Hatlifter Stout


I'm not much of a stout drinker, so I thought I'd review something I'm not comfortable with, plus I see we're reviewing a lot of pilsners and lagers.

A really thick stout, the way I like to see it, a few of the Australian stouts I have tried in the past have been a bit watery and not of the thick gluggy guinness mould.

Toasty caramel, burnt chocolate notes on the nose, quite attractive, almost fruit cake. In the mouth it's the same, very thick and rich, with an almost whisky maltiness. Somehow reminds me of a good single malt.

I have to admit I tried this about 6 months ago when I was given it as a gift and I didn't like it, so this bottle was banished to the back of the fridge where it has stayed until now. And I have to admit I like it more second time round. (even if i don't like the name or the label) Why sully the good name of beer by giving every one of your beers an equally ridiculous name, who knows, but I know that when winter comes round again I'll be searching this one out.

Hatlifter Stout
Grand Ridge Brewery, Gippsland, VIC
alc - 4.9%
price - ??

No comments: