Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Guinness Draught

Guinness Draught
alc - 4.2% alc/vol
price - $4 can, $15 4pk

I thought I'd review Guinness seeing as it's St Patrick's Day.
And really what more can be said about Guinness other than it's a big pint of liquid food. Many times I remember when I was younger putting off buying food and instead buying a few cans of Guinness.

It's blacker than night with a off white head. Smells of dark coffee with slightly peaty dirty hints. On the palate it's much the same with coffee and roasted malt being the driving force. It seems a lot lighter than I remember, maybe that's just the canned version but it's still an enjoyable drink. Not sure if I'd be able to put away as many as I used to but I sure would try.

Just on a side note there are a few countries around the world that are allowed to brew Guinness under licence, Australia is one of them and so is Nigeria. When I worked in Scotland I was fortunate enough to come across the Nigerian version which was an absolute ball buster rating in at around 7.9% alcohol, if you ever get the chance to try one you would be doing yourself a favour.

Graham

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you reviewing the Aussie one or the imported one?
What do you think of Kilkenny?

Graham Sutherland said...

I've reviewed the fully imported can with the ingenius widget. I will in the future review the Aussie one just for kicks.
To be honest I haven't tried the Kilkenny in about 5 years.