Thursday, March 12, 2009

Meantime Union

alc - 4.9% abv
origin - Greenwich, London
cost - $5 approx

Now I am a big fan of meantime and those crazy lads know how to brew a beer. I have to say the label is a shocker, it puts customers off buying it so much that I had to buy the last two bottles of this beer even though I think it's really really good.

The label says it is a unique fusion of lager and dark beer, on the nose I get lots of roasted coffee, malty notes that suggest dark beer. Good. But where is the lager part...on the palate it has very light choco-coffee notes, but absolutely no lager-esque qualities.

The more I taste this the more I really like it, it could be the cooler weather of late that is swaying me but it's really enjoyable. I haven't seen this balance of maltiness and drinkability in an Aussie dark beer, I guess now it's cooling down, winter may have to be a time to drink more so I can support more Australian brewers. 

And yet again....well done Meantime!!

Graham

I agree with Graham. Its a funny beer. The lack of bitterness and 'full on' blackness of this beer left me a bit confused at first, but by the time i finished the bottle it had really grown on me. It would be great for winter...... if Graham had not bought the last of it, i could have one!
The boys (and possibly girls) at Meantime keep giving. I just tried their 'London Pale Ale' which i will blog in a couple of days.
Dan

No comments: