Monday, October 27, 2008

Knappstein

Sorry about this picture. The quality of the picture is a testimony to the taste of the beer.
I think this beer really suits me. Its dry. Its rich in caramel bitterness, but there is a driving, slightly sour acidity. Its fresh and crisp but heavy and thick with a stewy fruit thing going on. I think it does what so many beers want to do but can't. It has the lot!
Some people love this beer (most) but others do not. 
I have just come from the winestar.com.au site and found the quote 'goopy, sweet and dull'. I don't know what 'goopy' means but i can understand what is being said, its a big thick beer and it is a bit sweet.
A few comments on the ratebeer.com site suggest 'hopsy' and 'floral' where the key adjectives. Both good things to have in beer although i think 'floral' should be reserved for things that smell like flowers. 
The sweetness, which arrives by way of caramel on the nose, is great. It's not too over the top (like Pepper Jack) and there is a really good long finish which is bitter and sour, like it should be. I think they got the balance just right.
Not so good in the Riedel beer glass, i am not sure what a good glass would be for this drink.... 
At the end of the day this is a very frigging good beer. 
It's almost too good.
Dan
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree totally Brooksy, full of flavour with a very strong lingering taste. One word of advice though, not a beer to drink all day as it tends to creep up on you.

Thought Control said...

No. I disagree. I'm reading your comments and sipping this beer at the same time. I'm not getting any sweetness. The bitterness of hops immediately cuts through the fruit and is pervasive through to the quite bitter aftertaste.

I'd prefer something a little less hoppy.

Dan Brock said...

Thanks for the comment coops. I do agree that the fruit is kept in check by the acid in the hops. I do think that here is a some fruit sweetness but the balance of the sweetness and the acid is what i really like. When you say 'less hoppy', what did you have in mind?
I enjoyed your blog ,thanks again for the comments.
Dan